What Does Thanksgiving mean to you?
Hear the word "Thanksgiving" and what comes to mind?
- Food and lots of it;
- Football and lots of it;
- Napping after the food and football;
- Family gatherings, and realizing perhaps why you don't get together more often;
- For farming families it means the harvest;
- For moms and grandmas it's baking and cooking sometimes for days;
- And the day after we now call "Black Friday" even though some retailers begin on Thanksgiving evening.
These are some of the most common responses to the meaning of Thanksgiving. But in our country we have so much to be thankful for that these responses seem inadequate, in my opinion.
My gratitude list for thanksgiving
Gratitude should be part of our every day, and yet we live very different lives one from the other so pick your best way to show your gratitude. On this day, this Thanksgiving eve I am grateful for:
- My family--a loving husband, our three children and their families;
- Our church family;
- Our home sheltering us from the cold wind, rain, and maybe snow;
- Nature and its beauty all seasons of the year;
- Music, which lends harmony and peace to our days;
- Books, which teach us and bring pleasure to our lives;
- Love, peace, hope, and faith--cornerstones of our spiritual lives;
- And for God's enormous gift of His Son Jesus Christ.
Taking time for gratitude allows the joy to fill your world in greater abundance.
To you and your family wishes for a ~