On February 16th I announced my intention to honor the Lenten Season by stepping away from social media. I began my "leave-taking" on February 18th. I returned last week having been away for a total of seven weeks. Here's what I can share with you:
- I do not regret one minute away from social media.
- I breathed easier, wrote more, spent more time with my family, and found rich blessings in everything I saw and heard.
- I missed my social media connections, and I found myself thinking about taking a "peek."
- I enjoyed a few days writing in unbroken time and solitude at the Willamette Writers Writing House; more about this in a future post.
- I delved into books dealing with the legal aspects of the writer's life, the intricacies of grant and fellowship application writing, traveled the writing journey of William Least Heat Moon in his new book, Writing BLUE HIGHWAYS: The Story of How a Book Happened, and finally read Anthony Doerr's All the Light We Cannot See.
- Together, Bob and I focused on the Lenten message in our morning devotionals.
- Bottom line, I relaxed a lot.
And then one day I stepped outside my usual box called "Comfort Zone" and emailed my friend (and probably yours too), Frances Caballo, the mastermind behind Social Media Just for Writers. My email had one purpose behind it. Ask Frances to help me!
I have always stumbled along creating my blog, creating accounts on several social media sites, attempting to understand what I'm doing on each of those sites, and questioning if my blog was as user-friendly as possible. One of Frances's many talents and services is analyzing social media profiles and pages and providing you with a written assessment and the next steps you should take. I knew I needed Frances to work with me to improve.
Frances looked at each of my social media accounts and my website, within several days provided me a typewritten assessment with suggestions about social media and my site. Her tips were outlined with clarity and the benefit of technological experience I don't have. I am a happy social media camper and blogger now. Because of Frances, I'm moving through my postings to each account with ease, scheduling using HootSuite and Buffer, and I've updated my blog. Here's a testimonial from me on Frances's site.
And now here's a word from Frances:
I can take a more in-depth look at your social media. For $297, I will examine your social media profiles and pages closely and write an assessment and next steps for you to take.
Your audit will include a complete review of:
- Your Facebook page posts and About Section
- Keyword placement on your LinkedIn profile and a general review
- Analysis of your tweets and tips to improve engagement
- Suggestions on how you can get more out of Google+
- A review of your Pinterest account with suggestions for new boards
- A review of your website and blog with ideas for improving them
Perhaps you already have someone like Frances working with you on these issues. However, I am so pleased with the work Frances did I could not help giving her a shout out on my blog.