Ever have difficulty when it comes to writing in that nasty, deceitful, vicious character?
Hopefully, this post will help you come to terms with the DEVIOUS nature of the details your character needs.
1. Not straightforward; shifty: a devious character.
2. Departing from the correct or accepted way; erring: achieved success by devious means.
3. Deviating from the straight or direct course; roundabout: a devious route.
4. Away from a main road or course; distant or removed.
* * *
When I hear the word "devious," I think back to the cartoon character Snidely Whiplash, a mean and conniving man, always out to get his own way.
Some of the definitions above give an idea of what a devious character might look like to your reader: shifty, veering off course, ignoring the straight and narrow, breaking rules, and there are many more.
The list of synonyms found at The Free Dictionary is intriguing and filled with possibilities for character development:
1. sly, scheming, calculating, tricky, crooked (informal), indirect, treacherous, dishonest, wily,
insidious, evasive, deceitful, underhand, insincere, surreptitious, double-dealing, not straightforward.
* * *
Using some of these words to describe a person or a group offers a good practice session. Give it a try!
Image attributions may be found by clicking on the image.